Monday, November 21, 2011

A week of Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful everyday for all the blessings God has given me.
So in honor of Thanksgiving I'm blogging about things I'm thankful for!

Today it's my career.

I've worked at several well known hospitals and have had the experience to work with and take care of people from many different cultures and backgrounds.

My passion is transplant patients, I've been working with this population for the past 5 years. I see them when they are at their lowest and their bodies can't take much more, I get to bring them news that they are going to receive a new kidney, liver or pancreas and then I get to take care of them after surgery and to be part of their recovery process... to see the full circle of a transplant is amazing. I'm lucky to have had the experiences I've had...

I take care of people during their most devastating, critical, and life changing moments. I get to be that person they trust to make them feel better, to trust to explain what is going on and why things might not be getting better. I get to be that person that sees their progress and be part of how they heal and to send them home to be with their families. I get to be that person caught in between their frustrations, sadness, and then of course their relief and happiness when things are going well.

At my current job... I work 7 days in a row.... that's 10 hours each day... you get to know your patient very well and they get to know you. A bond is built and I feel that the continuum of care is much better for our patients outcomes.
This past week I had the privilege to take care of a sweet young lady with several respiratory issues, she was in the hospital to be treated for a bad case of pneumonia. We'd talk each day about our families, where we've lived, school experiences, our favorite shows.... you know the normal day to day things... she trusted me with her care, respected the explanations and advice about the plan of care I gave her, and trusted me to speak up for her when she couldn't... She would always wave to me as I passed in the hallway and I looked forward to coming into her room each day to take care of her. On my 7th day with her... she had gotten the news that her father passed away suddenly in the middle of the night. She got the news before I came to work... her family and pastor had already left by the time my shift started. One of my coworkers told me the news, so I was prepared before I went in there but I still get nervous during these situation and think to myself- how am I going to handle this? I've taken care of other patients who have lost family members.... but her news really hit me hard.
I saw all my other patients first... and finally made my way in to see her. I took some deep breaths and opened her door.... As soon as she saw me... she smiled... I smiled back, I offered my condolences and let her tell me what happened.... tears started rolling down her face.... I knew words wouldn't be enough in this situation.... so I held her hand, sat on the bed with her and hugged her.... all while tears are running down my face as well. You have to live in the moment.... every minute and situation is different in nursing and you have to be prepared for anything and everything. Sometimes a simple touch, hug, or smile is better than any technical nursing skill I could have ever performed. I know she was appreciative that I was there for her and there was no need for her to express it. You have to be there for your patients... whether it be in the most critical of moments and your pushing meds, doing chest compressions, etc... or whether it be emotionally... and all they need is a hand to hold and someone to talk to. They need you....and I love every moment of it.

There are 2 things in life that I know I was meant to do.... Becoming a nurse and becoming a mother...and I'm so blessed that I'm able to do both.

I love the path I've taken... it hasn't always been easy, there have been just as many struggles...but I have so many treasured moments of the people that have touched my life that they trump any bad day I've ever had.

Thank you God for the career that you've given me and the path it's taken. Thank you for all the nurses who have become my great friends over the years. Thank you for the the crazy- laugh out loud- jaw dropping moments, thank you for the adrenaline rushing moments, and thank you for the all the beautiful lives I've been able to take care of.


No comments:

Post a Comment